About The Ivy Group
Since The Ivy Group’s founding in 1989, we have collaborated with over 100 libraries and library support organizations to develop effective strategies, branding, marketing, and outreach programs that address their unique challenges. A close-knit working group, we combine our library experience, business and communications expertise, and enthusiasm for supporting communities to advance America’s libraries. Above all, we value intentional problem-solving, respectful collaboration, doing the best work possible, continuous learning, integrity, and kindness. And we're growing!
The Ivy Group seeks a freelance consultant with deep public library leadership experience and vision for the future of library service. The ideal candidate is a seasoned library leader with a schedule that would allow them to join the consulting team for virtual and on-site engagements across the country.
This position is remote; office space with our Charlottesville, Virginia team is available. The consultant will be assigned to projects as needed; total hours will be determined based on the consultant’s availability and Ivy Group’s pipeline. A typical project may run for five to eight months and require between 60 and 80 consultant hours during that period.
The Library Consultant will primarily be responsible for engaging stakeholders and community members, co-facilitating workshops, and developing strategic plans.
Responsibilities will include:
- Join the project team for interviews and pitch presentations with prospective clients
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with clients and team members
- Conduct meaningful community conversations and individual interviews with various populations and prepare executive summaries of findings, e.g., stakeholder interviews, focus groups, town halls
- Co-facilitate virtual and on-site workshops with library Board, staff, and community leaders
- Recommend actionable strategies for public library facilities, collections, programs, services, and outreach
- Collaborate on the development of community needs assessments and strategic plans incorporating audience research and stakeholder priorities
- Maintain knowledge of best practices and trends in public library service and envision next practices in the field
Qualifications & Experience – Required
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7+ years’ experience working in public libraries; 3 years at management level
- Knowledge of strategic planning concepts and techniques
- Extensive knowledge of the administration, organization, and operation of public libraries
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills including demonstrated writing, editing and proofreading skills to ensure communications are creative, clear, and error-free
- Strategic and creative thinking skills, with the ability to use data to inform decisions
- Passion for advancing America’s libraries and helping communities thrive
- Strong knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel as necessary (travel requirements vary by engagement; most work can be done from home)
- Available during business hours (eastern time zone); some work may be done asynchronously
- Willing to staff an engagement that requires between 60-80 hours over five to eight months. Consultants may be asked to join multiple engagements.
Qualifications & Experience – Preferred
- MLS strongly preferred
- 3+ years of experience as Director of a public library
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative community research
- Expertise in space needs assessment, capital campaign planning, and/or library support agencies
- Experience applying diversity, equity, and inclusion frameworks to community engagement and strategic planning
- Spanish language fluency
- Participation on national or state committees related to library service
The consultant will be paid hourly at a rate of $60-80/hour; compensation is negotiable.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Not sure if this is the right fit? Email us with your questions.
Tags: Ivy Group Team