About The Ivy Group
Since The Ivy Group's founding in 1989, we have collaborated with over 100 libraries and library support organizations to develop effective strategies, branding, marketing, and outreach programs that address their unique challenges. A close-knit working group, we combine our library experience, business and communications expertise, and enthusiasm for supporting communities to advance America's libraries. Above all, we value intentional problem solving, respectful collaboration, doing the best work possible, continuous learning, integrity, and kindness.
Get to know us at ivygroup.com/library-consulting.
The Ivy Group seeks a freelance consultant with deep community research expertise and an unapologetic love of libraries. The ideal candidate is a seasoned library professional with a schedule that would allow them to join the consulting team for virtual and boots-on-the-ground engagements across the country.
This position is remote, office space with our Charlottesville team available. The consultant will be assigned to projects as needed; total hours will be determined based on the consultant's availability and Ivy Group's pipeline. Potential to turn into full-time staff position.
As a small and mighty consultancy, we require Ivy Groupies to confidently wear multiple hats, nimbly pivot from one project to another, and enthusiastically invite new challenges. The Library Consultant will primarily be responsible for coordinating projects, conducting research, co-facilitating workshops, and drafting strategic plans.
- Scope, draft, and present proposals in response to prospect inquiries
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with clients, team members, and vendors
- Plan and oversee project details, including budget, timeline, deliverables, and team responsibilities
- Draft discussion guides and facilitate community conversations, e.g., stakeholder interviews, focus groups, town halls
- Conduct online and telephone surveys including scripting survey instrument, launching the survey, and analyzing data
- Prepare executive summaries and in-depth reports for research activities
- Co-facilitate virtual and on-site workshops, e.g. community research summits with a public library
- Recommend actionable strategies for public library facilities, collections, programs, services, and outreach
- Draft strategic plans incorporating audience research and stakeholder priorities
Requirements & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree
- MLS strongly preferred
- 7+ years' experience working in libraries; 3 years at management level
- Knowledge of strategic planning concepts and techniques
- Knowledge of the administration, organization, and operation of public libraries
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative community research
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills including demonstrated writing, editing and proofreading skills to ensure communications are creative, clear, and error-free
- Strategic and creative thinking skills, with the ability to use data to inform decisions
- Enthusiasm for collaborating with coworkers and clients to deliver the best work possible
- Passion for advancing America's libraries and helping communities thrive
- Strong knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel as necessary (travel requirements vary by engagement; most work is able to be done from home)
- Willing to staff an engagement that requires a minimum of 60 hours over several months.
Compensation is negotiable.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Not sure if this is the right fit? Email us with your questions.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at The Ivy Group are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities.
The Ivy Group does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Tags: Ivy Group Team